Saturday 9 October 2010

Some recent correspondence

It's not my usual practice to post professional correspondence on my blog, but the particular circumstances of this situation merit it I think.

Last month I was approached via email regarding the editing of a work of fiction. I replied, asking for more details of the task and supplying my fee for the work. I heard nothing back, so sent a further email checking that my first reply hadn't gone astray. The following is what I received in return:

"Jo,

As much as I appreciate your reply, I think this manuscript is perahps [sic] too heavy for you.
Don't get me wrong, I am not remeaning [sic] your professionalism, it's just VERY profound and maybe too much for a female to edit.
A delicate mind I do not want editing this.

Best regards,

Etc"

I shall make no comment on this email, but will leave you to come to your own conclusions about my reaction to it from my reply, which you can read below:

"Dear Etc,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Thanks too for your candid (not to mention eloquently expressed - although I believe the word you were looking for was 'demeaning', not 'remeaning') appraisal of my intellectual and professional capabilities. It's reassuring to me, as a 'female' (again, I believe you mean 'woman') of delicate sensibilities and feeble judgement, to know that considerate gentlemen such as yourself exist to protect me from that which I lack the depth of character to understand.

As to how you've assessed that I am too weak-minded to work on, or even indeed to read, your manuscript, given that we have never met, or even spoken on the phone, I can only speculate. I wish you, in any case, all the best with it.

Have a lovely weekend.

Kind regards,

Jo"

7 comments:

  1. Well done!

    What a disgusting toad this person must be. Wish you had named names.

    Congratulations for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe!

    I'll bet he demains unmoved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your reponse!

    I can't believe that any writer would be as obnoxious as that, unless they were actively pursuing an anti-publication quest. Aren't people funny?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moley - a "delicate mind"? Is he referring to what I might call a "hangover"? And the fact he calls you a "female" is just bizarre - a female what? A female human, or as you put it, a woman.
    Well replied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird and disappointing, but I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

    Right?

    ReplyDelete